- Winning Ways Story
- Brunswick, ME
FoundationFL@aol.com for more information.
In the various square dance magazines and web sites you can read how square dance clubs and national organizations have plans for advertising square dancing, for “improving” our public image, for altering the dance program and for growing memberships. For the SAGE Swingers in the process began with a change in philosophy. What are the club’s goals for its dancers? The Club thinks this can determine how you go about gaining and keeping new members. Their first report is from 2003, followed by updates in 2009 and 2018 describing how the club is faring.
The Clubs goals today are different from what they might have been five and ten years ago. For example, at SAGE Swingers some of our goals are:
- To help the club grow by getting more new members
- To make sure people are having a good time learning to dance.
- Insure that new members return.
Here are some of the “old” goals the club no longer strives for.
- The Club does not feel people need to graduate from a Mainstream program by a certain date.
- Classes do not have to start in September only.
- Learning to dance is not a race to see how quickly you can get to Plus or A-1
- The Club tends to downplay classic square dance clothes and make sure people know it’s optional